Monday, November 9, 2009

Start of the Business


After working with bees and doing some hobbyist beekeeping, I realized there were a lot of benefits to starting a company dedicated to my interests. On October 1st 2009, Woolheater Farms, LLC was born with idea that one day I'd have hundreds of hives in my apiary and I'd be able to transition over to beekeeping as my retirement profession.

Once the decision was made, it was simple to start up an LLC using SunBiz.org. And I have to say the fees were the only negative to the entire experience, not that they were high. After $195, I had all the online paperwork filled out and the extras (Certificate of Status and Certified Copy). The very next day, I had all the paperwork necessary to conduct business. First I needed a bank account and a company truck. I drive a sedan so it was difficult to imagine putting 1300 unassembled frames in my car. The bank account was quickly setup at the bank where I keep my personal accounts, I found this appealing as I would be able to easily direct money from my personal account into the company account.

In the first month, I've started a bank account, bought a truck, enough frames and foundation for 1300 frames, and begun my efforts to expand my colonies. The current business plan is to grow the number of colonies at my apiary to about 75 over the next few years. My next post is going to have more thoughts on the actual business plan and cost analysis.

No comments:

Post a Comment